Thursday, September 4, 2008

Politics today...

I am anxiously following the presidential race this year, though I have no interest in McCain or Obama becoming president. I am firmly in the 3rd party camp and believe there is little effectual difference between to two parties.

We are led to believe there are real differences, with volumes of rhetoric regarding health care, Iraq, the economy, abortion and guns. While there are differences between the parties on these points, neither cares to point out how far our country has faded from our Constitutional heritage. Big government ideals and huge spending abound on both sides of the aisle. We're sinking in debt, doing nothing to strengthen our borders and losing individual rights as each month passes. Enough already...

To my LDS friends and family - rethink your association with the republican party. They do not hold to the ideals of our faith. Nationally, the neocons have pursued a war in foreign lands. They have laid forth the argument that it's better to fight them over there, ignoring the security of our own land. Compare this tactic to those of the Book of Mormon. Captain Moroni fortified his own cities and did not pursue the Lamanites into their lands. To do so is folly.

Some of the republican leaders of our faith fair little better when analyzed through gospel principles. There is a strong movement among some local politicians to have our neighbors live by our standards - not of free will and choice, but by legislation. That seems to be the polar opposite of the central tenet of free agency, does it not? Our charge is to live like the Savior and love our neighbors, not to make them live like us through political might. President Hinkley spoke every general conference for years pleading with the saints to accept and love our non-LDS neighbors. Forcing LDS lifestyle conformance upon them runs counter to the prophet's edict. Think carefully about the people you vote for, both locally and nationally.

Malon Labe!
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

First of all, you'll have to educate me on what "malon labe" means...

And maybe you can answer a question for me about the third party issue. I've been feeling lately like I really need to get on board with McCain, not because I like him but because it is necessary to defeat Obama. The math of introducing a third party troubles me, because it then becomes possible for someone to win without a majority vote. I don't particularly care for Republicans, but I am worried that if conservatives begin splintering, it will hurt the country more by allowing more liberal candidates to win. I would like to hear your thoughts on this, becuase it really does concern me.

I'm also slightly irritated at the Consitution party people I've met because they are so blind to the current needs of the country. We cannot live like we are in the 1700s. I think that the Constitution is a living document and that many of the changes to it over the years have been just as inspired as the original document itself. I do, however, share your concerns about where the government is right now. Do you think there is a party that represents well the principles of the founding fathers while still recognizing the needs of a modern society? Curious to hear your thoughts...

Voltar Avançar Inicio